DECO THERAPY : THE BEDROOM

 
I am a fan of Martha Beck best known life coach in America.
In one of her book "Steering by starlight, how to fulfil your destiny no matter what'' she was suggesting to redecorate your home as an effective exercise to ''redecorate'' your life and visualise your life as a House...and it works!
This simple action to change your décor, decluter, remove/add objects/picture, change colour or move furniture really improves your quality of life , change your mood,  encourage you to always be in the move and reinvent yourself. Your home evolves and changes with you. You feel empowered to do the same in your relationship, career by taking steps further and working miracles in your life.
For me the room who needed attention was THE bedroom.
The bed was the wrong way and everything looked dull.   
It tooks me 2 hours on Sunday afternoon to change UGLY into LOVELY ...and it really lift up my mood.
 
 
1st Step: Reposition furniture.
Most of the time small bedroom looks cluttered because the furniture are in the way.
By repositioning the bed and the wardrobe the all room looks more spacious.
 

 Step 2:Statement wall
I painted Grey stripes on the wall and added a mirror which reflects light from the window.You can stick postal cards, pics or wall print with washi tape or blue tag. You can keep it simple and neutral or add a splash of colour.
 



Step 3 : Repaint furniture
This was a very dark orangy sleigh bed and I hate orange wood so last summer I painted it Old white and inspired by Miss Mustard Seed Design I hand- painted the Ochre pattern. I am sooooo please with it I love it!

Step 4: Dress your bed
Especially for winter your bed needs to be cosy as possible. A lovely duvet set in neutral colour (white, grey, taupe...) is the best because you always can add cushions or throws to add a splash of texture and colour depending on your mood and season. It allows to change your bed  without breaking the bank.


Step 5: Bedside Table
I always go to bed with my peppermint tea, my book and my diary. Plus I need space for a lamp and my alarm clock. My problem: no space for a bedside table. My solution: Be creative and use what you have a stack of books or favourite magazine, old box etc...

 
 
Step 6: Hang bag, scarf & hats
Use your wardrobe and add a nail or small clothes hangers on the side. It saves space in the wardrobe and still looks nice & tidy.
 



 Step 7: Wall Art for Both
Again use what you have. Here I used Antiques frames too beautiful to be covered with large print. Instead I printed small postal card size pics found on internet and stick them with blue tag inside the frame. Be quirky with your theme. I like eclectic style as you are not limited in your choice of colours or  theme. Here I used funny cat print as my other half loves DEARLY HIS cat. And just to remind me it's not My Bedroom but OUR bedroom.



 
 




 
Step 8 : GREEN
Add fresh plants or flowers found in your patio or on your way to the Park. It injects instant freshness, plus studies says it is good for your health to have a green plant in your bedroom as it absorbes C02 and releases oxygen.
 








 Print found in an old book
 

Step 9: Enjoy and relax

Step 10: Redecorate your Life
Think of something in your life that you would like to change.
Remove something that don't serve you (  going to bed late, spending too much time on internet! ) an Add a new thing (start a morning walk before to go to work,organise chores, start yoga class...).
You will soon notice the ''redecorating therapy effects'' changes in the rest of your life.

Hope you enjoyed this post and I will soon be back with more Redecorating Therapy!

Have a good night

 

Comments

Popular Posts